There are plenty of fashion brands that existed in the past or still exist in the market. Somehow these fashion brands can not be competing after some years of their starting because of competitions, prizes, fashion trends, and much more.
These all are considered the oldest luxury fashion brands in the modern world.
One brand comes in one year and that brand can be exited after some time another brand comes and this list goes on. These oldest luxury fashion brands have managed to turn their fashion or business model in the way that fashion trends turning every year, monthly, or decades.
Oldest Fashion Brands
- 10. Givenchy (1952)
- 9. Dior (1946)
- 8. Nina Ricci (1932)
- 7. Fendi (1925)
- 6. Gucci (1921)
- 5. Prada (1913)
- 4. Chanel (1909)
- 3. Burberry (1856)
- 2. Louis Vuitton (1854)
- 1. Hermès (1837)
As of the world’s luxury brands, individually fourth luxury brand in the world is Louis Vuitton that comes after Gucci itself.
Famous luxury fashion brand Louis Vuitton has been around since 1854 approx for 167 years. Where Gucci provides constant significant goods since 1909 which is almost 111 years.
These 10 oldest luxury fashion brands would be there for years even in the future.
10 oldest luxury fashion brands in the world:
10. Givenchy (1952)
- Founded by Hubert de Givenchy and Javani Robert Duffy in 1952 (68 years)
- Headquarters: Paris, Franch
Givenchy is a luxury fashion brand founded in 1952. Givenchy is a French fashion brand and currently, its headquarters is based in Paris, France. Its interest lies in a wide array of products including but not limited to haute couture clothing, cosmetics, perfumes, footwear, and the list goes on.
Givenchy (The house of Givenchy) was founded by a fashion designer Hubert de Givenchy, and Javani Robert Duffy. In 1952 they launched their first products including skirts and puffy blouses made from raw cotton.
In 1969, Givenchy launched a fashion line for men named “Gentleman Givenchy”. Since then it’s been growing. Now we are in 2020 Givenchy is known as one of the oldest luxury fashion brands in the world.
Their cosmetic products are considered to be one of the best.
Their operations are divided between Europe that accounts for 42 percent of the business, China possession 18 percent of its operations, Asia-Pacific 14 percent, America 12 percent, the Middle East 7 percent, and Japan accounts for 4 percent, and the rest of the world 3 percent of their total of operations.
Facts about founder Of Givenchy : Givenchy Hubert de Givenchy:
- He never wanted to work in the Fashion industry
- Givenchy Hubert de Givenchy was raised by his grandmother and mother because his father died from influenza!
9. Dior (1946)
- Founded by Christian Dior in 1946 (74 years)
- Headquarters: Paris, Franch
Dior is a French fashion brand that started by French fashion designer Christian Dior in 1946. Today it’s controlled by French businessman Bernard Arnault and as well he is chairman of Dior with 42.36% of its shares.
Dior retails and designs products including leather goods (bags, clothes), footwear, fashion accessories, jewelry, makeup, fragrance, makeup, skincare products, and much more. Dior is one of the famous and oldest fashion brands in the world.
Dior has nearly more than 210 stores in over 60 countries all over the world. Dior has a total of 84,981 employees all over the world. Dior was financially backed by wealthy businessman Marcel Boussac back then in 1947. Then in 1981, Bernard Arnault purchased its majority shares to become the majority shareholder of Dior.
Some facts about Christian Dior:
- He was a strong believer in psychics and he would visit one to decide which day would be best to show his newest collection
- He named one of his debut fragrance “Miss Dior” after his younger sister Catherine
8. Nina Ricci (1932)
- Founded by Maria “Nina” Ricci in 1932 it has been around for 88 years
- Headquarters: Paris, Franch
Nina Ricci founded in 1932 ranks 8th in our list of oldest clothing brands in the world. Started by Nina Ricci and her son in 1932 it provides constant significate goods since 1932. After starting her company initially, Nina Ricci was working on designs while her son was working on finance and management of the company. It provides constant significate goods since 1909 (111 years).
Nina Ricci provides products including their famous fragrances, shoes, simple design clothes, and much more. One of their famous product is their perfume named L’air du Temps.
Her famous brand still exists today due to their quality product lines over the past years. At present Nina Ricci’s majority shares are owned by Spanish beauty and fashion group Puig.
Some facts about Nina Ricci:
- Nina Ricci’s son Robert Ricci is as responsible for the success of the company Nina Ricci as Nina herself because initially, he was working as accounting.
- Ninna Ricci is one of the oldest perfume brands and as well one of the oldest luxury fashion brands
7. Fendi (1925)
- Founded by Adele and Edoardo Fendi provides constant significate goods since 1925 (95 years)
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy
Another luxury fashion company owned by Bernard Arnault’s group LVMH is Fendi. Fendi is an Italy based fashion brand founded by Adele and Edoardo Fend. Initially, it was a fur and leather shop in Rome, Italy.
At present, its interesting lies in a wide array of products including fur clothes, shoes, leather goods, fragrances, timepieces, eyewear, and accessories.
Fendi currently operates 197 stores worldwide. It has been here for 94 years so it becomes part of our list of oldest luxury brands in the world.
- Karl Lagerfeld, who was one of the best designers in the world worked with Fendi for approx 54 years
- Fendi created the first-ever “IT” bag
6. Gucci (1921)
- Founded by Guccio Gucci in 1921 it has been around for 99 years
- Headquarters: Tuscany, Italy
Another Italy-based luxury world-famous fashion brand Gucci ranks 6th in our list. Gucci was founded by Guccio Gucci in 1921, 99 years ago. Currently, it is owned by Kering group.
Gucci ranks second in the list of the individual world’s luxury brands of 2019 following by Porsche. Where Gucci ranks 4th on our list of 10 oldest luxury fashion brands.
It provides constant significate products including clothes, shoes, accessories, makeup, fragrances, handbags, home decoration.
As of 2020, Gucci operates 487 stores all over the world with employees of 17,157. It was one of the highest earners of the year with a revenue of € 9.628 billion (2019).
Facts about Gucci:
- The famous double G Gucci logo stands for Guccio Gucci who founded Gucci
- They first started manufacturing quality leather luggage items
- Until Guccio Gucci died in 1953, he personally managed the brand.
- At percent, Gucci is considered to be one of the most famous luxury brands and as well one of the oldest luxury brands in the world.
5. Prada (1913)
- Started by Mario Prada and Martino Prada in 1913 it has been around for 107 years
- Headquarters: Milan, Italy
Another Italian brand Prada comes in our list of oldest luxury fashion brands in the world.
Prada was started by Mario Prada and his brother Martino in 1913 it’s been more than 100 years but still, Prada makes an honorable space in the field of fashion.
Mario Prada started his brand by only selling leather clothes. Initially, they were selling English leather clothes from other companies but after some time they took over it and started making their own leather clothes.
Their first famous product was a Niolon bag in 1985 then it becomes a world-famous company. Prada provides products such as travel accessories, clothes, leather handbags, shoes, ready-to-wear, perfumes, and other accessories.
Gucci is no doubt one of the most popular oldest designer brands in 2022 with millions of followers on social media.
Interesting facts about Prada:
- The success of Prada companies black nylon backpacks made Miuccia Prada one of the 30 most powerful women in that time
- Prada is one of the oldest fragrance and oldest fashion brand in the world. Prada is considered as one of the oldest luxury fashion brands in the world because it has been providing goods for 107 years and it is their considerable goods that never decreases qualities of products.
4. Chanel (1909)
- Started by Gabrielle Chanel it provides constant significate goods since 1909 (111 years)
- Headquarters: Neuilly-sur-Seine, Franch & London, United Kingdom
Chanel (founded as House of Chanel) is one of the oldest fashion brand that founded by Gabrielle Chanel in 1909.
Channel started its first shop while making hats in French. Its product base includes ready-to-wear clothes, luxury goods, accessories, fragrances, perfumes, and bags. Channel is one of the oldest fashion brand in the world that currently performs well-considered in the fashion industry.
As of 2020, Chanel operates 487 stores all over the world. And have managed to reach worldwide with their lucrative business model. It was one of the highest earners of the year 2019.
Some facts about Prada:
- Gabrielle Chanel initially started the company by selling leather hats.
- Gabrielle Chanel was one of the first people to create clothes that were stylish and comfortable.
3. Burberry (1856)
- England based Burberry was Started by Thomes Burberry. It has been here for 164 years
- Headquarters: London, United Kingdom
Burberry is an England based luxury brand. Burberry was established in 1856 by Thomes Burberry. Burberry’s products list includes leather goods, footwear, fashion accessories, cosmetics, eyewear, fragrances, and cosmetics, and the list goes on.
Burberry’s products are considered to be one of the best in the world in terms of fashion. It has total stores in a total of 421 locations, 59 countries and operates with approx 9,892 employees.
Burberry ranks 3rd on our list of top 10 oldest luxury fashion brands and is only one of the oldest designer brands from England.
Some fascinating facts about one of the oldest fashion brand Burberry:
- Burberry’s founder Thomas Burberry invented famous gabardine clothes
- The Burberry Foundation has awarded £3 million pounds to the Royal College of Art in order to establish the Burberry Material Futures Research Group for R&D.
2. Louis Vuitton (1854)
- The world-famous brand Lois Vuitton was started by Louis Vuitton. in 1854. It has been here for 167 years
- Headquarters: Paris, Franch
One of the most famous and oldest luxury fashion brands in the world Louis Vuitton founded in 1854 by Louis Vuitton.
Louis Vuitton was established in Franch and safe its second position on our list. Its interest lies in a wide array of products including but not limited to haute couture clothing, watches, jewelry, sunglasses, cosmetics, perfumes, footwear, and the list goes on.
It is considered the world’s leading fashion brand having been ranked 3rd in the list of the world’s luxury brands (not the oldest luxury fashion brands) in the world followed by Porsche and Gucci.
The company operates more than 460 stores all over the world with 121,289 employees. Having been stayed more than 166 years it ranks 2nd on our list of 10 oldest luxury fashion brands.
All Louis Vuitton handbags are handmade
Some fascinating facts about Louis Vuitton:
- All Louis Vuitton handbags are handmade company said that it takes about one week to create one bag pack with a person
- You will never find Louis Vuitton at a discount because so far they haven’t sold their products at discount prices.
1. Hermès (1837)
- Founded by Thierry Hermès provides constant significate goods since 1837 (183 years)
- Headquarters: Paris, Franch
Another French brand-safe it’s 1st rank on our list of oldest luxury brands in the world. Hermes was founded by Thierry Hermès in 1837.
Hermes provides products including leather, home furnishing, perfumes, jewelry, ready-to-wear clothes, watches, fragrance, and much more.
After the First World War, Hermes began to manufacture leather goods such as handbags, wallets, hats, and luggage.
Since 1992, Hermes also produced fragrances, clothing, costume, and much more.
Some facts about the oldest clothing brand Hermès:
- Hermes fashion is one of the first luxurious brands which started online selling and is considered to be one of the oldest luxury fashion brands in the modern day.
- At present, Hermes sells one silk scarf every 20 seconds!
- Famous clients of Hermes like Madonna, Kim Kardashian, Elle MacPherson, Victoria Beckham, Julianne Moore, Nicole Kidman, and many more celebrities.
So these are all the oldest luxury fashion brands that have managed to make their image as luxury brands of the world. Many of these luxury brands have specified their field in handbags do check 20 popular luxury handbag brands to know more about luxury brands.
Other Luxury Brands that are Still Popular
Some of the other oldest luxury brands that are yet popular once are Balenciaga founded in 1919, Bvlgari founded in 1884, Cartier 175 years ago in 1847, Valentino established in 1960, and the list goes on for oldest luxury brands.
Meanwhile, our list may consist of some notable luxury watchmakers such as Rolex(1905), Patek Philippe (1839), Omega (1848), and many more to include. These all classic luxury brands have managed to make a special place in the luxury world.
FAQs: Oldest Luxury Brands That Are Still Operational
Which luxury brand is the oldest?
Hermès. The French luxury fashion house Hermès founded in 1837 is the most popular oldest luxury brand that is still operational with its rich heritage and successful craftmanship.
The Hermes Birkin bag is the most valuable designer purse to invest in which can go up to 10% every year of its original price.
What came first Chanel or Gucci?
Chanel was founded in 1909 whereas Gucci was established in 1921 so it is a difference of 12 years. Both currently have special spaces in the luxury fashion world.
What is the top 1 luxury brand
If you are talking about overall rating then no doubt Gucci has secured its place at the top of the table when it comes to ultimate luxury brand ranking.
What is the oldest fashion company?
Brooks Brothers. Founded in 1818 Brooks Brothers was America’s first fashion brand that is still in operation today. .
Is Céline a luxury brand
Yes, Céline is a French-based luxury fashion brand founded in 1945 and is currently owned by luxury business group LVMH.
So these luxury brands have managed to make their places in the luxury fashion world. In order to compete for competitive minds, they regularly change their business strategies in lucrative ways.
In addition to that, these 10 brands are the oldest and most active fashion brands. In 2022. Most of these oldest luxury brands were founded by fashion designers. At present, the oldest fashion designer alive is Iris Apfel. At present, she is 100 years old.